Stay Active with Us
Sign up to get the latest news and events from YKK
The YKK 80 Building Becomes the First Office Building in Japan to Obtain Top LEED-BD+C (Core and Shell) Certification (Platinum)
YKK Fudosan (Real Estate) Co., Ltd. (Head office: 1, Kanda Izumi-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo) obtained top LEED-BD+C (Core and Shell) certification (Platinum) for its YKK80 Building. It was the first such
certification for a new office building in Japan.
In LEED* certification, the site, water efficiency, materials, indoor environment and energy are among the areas that are evaluated at the planning stage of development. Each area is also evaluated for its
greenness during the construction phase as well as in the operation and maintenance stage. The YKK80 Building earned high points for the site, water efficiency, energy and indoor environment. The following characteristics as well as a proactive effort made in regards to the whole building led to its obtainment of the Platinum certification.
- Selection of a site in a metropolitan area (leads to an avoidance of an environmental impact as well as urban sprawl and promotion of the use of public transport and bicycles, and suppression of the number of vehicle spaces in parking lots as well as promotion of underground parking)
- Planting of exterior greenery that matches the local ecosystem, roof greening and creation of relaxation space
- Adoption of water-saving sanitary fixtures (3.8-liter toilet bowls, automatic water taps for hand-wash basins
that stop after 14 seconds, etc.)
- Utilization of rainwater and kitchen drainage water
- Utilization of radiant panels and desiccant air-conditioning, brightness sensor and motion-activated LED
lighting plus task-ambient lighting, high-performance electrical outlets, etc., that reduces energy consumption
by about 36% from ASHRAE standards
- Facilities commissioning by a third party
- Use of recycled materials, such as recycled steel scrap and waste plasterboard, and local materials collected
within 800 km
- Implementation of outdoor air intake that is 30% greater than ASHRAE standards, and monitoring
- Thorough separation of the smoking room, and differential pressure control of said room
- Achievement of room configurations that ensure sufficient daylight along with a view
YKK will continue to engage in management and business activities that give consideration to the environment.
*LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
LEED is a certification program for environmentally-friendly building and area development. It was developed and
is operated by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). There are four levels of certification according to the
number of points awarded in the evaluation: Certified, Silver, Gold and Platinum. YKK80 Building obtained
certification at the highest level (Platinum).